Friday, November 2, 2007

What you need to know about the 80/20 Rule

I've seen the 80/20 Rule adapted to multiple environments so that in some examples, 70% of your results come from 30% of your efforts. I've seen it as the 60/40 Rule ... the 90/10 Rule ... and everything in between.

There is a fundamental mistake being made. The 80/20 Rule is not a measurement adding up to 100% of anything. The rule could have been 80/30 or 95/20 or any other variation, but the fact that 80 and 20 HAPPEN to add up to 100, means NOTHING!

You can't add 80% of your results to 20% of your efforts....that's like adding apples and oranges.

Here's the REAL kicker. No matter what 2 things you are measuring, you can come up with a ratio. That ratio most likely means nothing. I wish Stephen Levitt, author of Freakonomics, would do a study on the 80/20 Rule. That guy is SHARP.

Next topic: A few more things to know about the 80/20 Rule.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Life has shown me that if I don't put 100% of my effort in to something I'm not going to get 100% back as a result. You don't have to work hard...just smart.

Unknown said...

Kevin if you apply the 8020 rule as both together equals 100% that would make since. But you say it has absolutely nothing to do with that. I agree with janice also working smart will give you 100%. Sometime you can work or study too hard and overdue things.